In SSC CHSL Tier-II Exam, the writing ability of students (in Hindi or English) is tested through descriptive paper. The descriptive paper is divided into two parts- Essay Writing (200-250 words approximately) and Letter/Application Writing (150-200 words). The question paper is of 100 marks and the time limit is 1 hour (I hour 20 minutes for PWD students). This descriptive paper will be held in “pen and paper” mode. Before discussing tips for Essay and Letter Writing in SSC CHSL Tier-II Exam, it’s important to list out important points to remember for this exam and they are:-
- The minimum qualifying percentage for the descriptive paper will be 33 percent.
- The marks scored in the descriptive paper will be included with Tier-I exam in deciding the merit list of the successful candidates.
Now, let us discus the important tips:-
- Story should be properly structured
The essay should always start with an introduction which should provide a brief overview of the points which are to be discussed in detail. The core body of the essay should comprise of some paragraphs. The number of paragraphs will mainly depend on the number of points or topics to be covered. You should also write paragraph for each of the points mentioned in the introduction. The essay should end with an effective conclusion which should be a short paragraph recollecting all the main points.
- Memorizing appropriate formats of Letter Writing
The students should memorize both formats of Letter Writing- Formal and Informal Letter Writing. In letter writing, the main objective is to address your issues or convey your information in minimum words. So, it’s important to memorize the basic formats of letter writing, as it will be time-saving as well as accurately precise in its presentation.
A letter has some fundamental parts:
- Address Heading – Writer’s Full Address
- Inside Address – Recipient Full Name and Address
- Greeting – Dear [name of recipient]
- Subject Line – Main subject of the letter
- Closing (“Yours truly”, “Sincerely”, “Regards”, ‘Yours faithfully’)
- Write Impressive Introduction
The impressive introduction will be attracting examiner’s attention and he will be curious enough to read the entire story. This will help you score good marks in the exams.
- Provide useful statistics and facts
To make essay meaningful in less time, the student should try to provide useful statistics and facts in the essay. This is a good technique which can provide sturdiness to your story.
- Be Precise and stick to the word limit
In essay writing, you should be precise in your writing and also should avoid long sentences. You should avoid useless facts and try not to exaggerate any point. The long sentences can prove to be monotonous for the examiner while short sentences will be easier to read and understand through SSC CHSL Test Series.
You are advised to prepare topics which are of social and political relevance in present context. You should have good linguistic sense to absorb more contents in lesser words. It is important to consider and follow the above mentioned tips. Do remember a good and planned strategy helps you win even the most difficult battles through SSC Coaching Chennai.
All the Best!!!